Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ivy's 1st Slumber Party



As most of you know Ivy turned 8 at the beginning of September. I decided to have her first slumber party as we have always invited a bunch of kids but barely any show up because it is the first week of school and pretty hectic. I figured a slumber party was a good way to keep it small and inexpensive but still fun for the girls and special for Ivy. I started looking for ideas on-line and found two great sites, http://www.amazingmoms.com/ and http://www.birthdayinabox.com/ , that gave me tons of ideas on how to run a slumber party without it getting out of control but still having a great time. I took a few ideas from those sites and came up with a few of my own and the party was a huge success. We had 8 girls total and thankfully Tiff came to help me otherwise I might not have made it through. Thanks to $5 pizzas from Little Caesar's and a delivery from Ben we had dinner and moved straight to dessert. I had made cupcakes early in the day and gave the girls everything they needed to decorate their own, frosting, a few kinds of sprinkles, plastic knives. They thought it was so cool. And when it came time to sing "Happy Birthday" I put a candle in each girls cupcake. It was all a little messy but well worth the fun. The rest of the night went just as smoothly. I had decided to do a new game or activity once every hour and it worked out really well. The girls played freeze dance, simon says, and sleeping beauty. We made door hangers and I did every one's makeup. At 10 we finally all sprawled out in our sleeping bags on the floor and watched movies. I think Ivy fell asleep first, she was so tired. In the morning as a last little special thing I made heart-shaped waffles for all the girls with whipped cream and chocolate chips. It really ended the whole party perfectly. What I thought was going to be a night of crazy stress for me turned in to a great time to get to know Ivy's friends and give her a party she wont forget.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have been meaning to ask you how the party was! Will you come throw your niece a party like that when she is 8???